Sunday 23 November 2014

Slow Cooker Chex Mix


Ahh Christmas season.  It is one of my favorite seasons.  I get to make so many of my favorite things in such a short time! Like this weekend, in which I made ALL of my Christmas goodies.  Nothing like getting it all done in one shot and then popping it into the freezer to store until it is needed!  Over the next few weeks I will be posting all my secrets.  Christmas is only in 32 days away you know!  I needed to get all of my baking done so I could focus on shopping... which I have not even thought about yet. Great.  Maybe I still have time to get everything online? Express shipping it is.

Since I don't want to stress anyone out with complicated recipes, I thought I would start out nice and easy with Chex Mix.  A salty little snack that keeps for weeks.  Chex cereal at Christmas is like a unicorn.  You will be lucky if you can find it at your first three grocery stores.  Luckily for me, I stopped at Superstore and got the last two boxes! Score!  Chex Mix is easy, and even easier with the slow cooker, it means you have the oven empty for other treats!

The first step is really hard.  Dump all your cereal in the slow cooker.  Recipes have measured out cups, but that is not the way I roll with this one.  The Chex and rice snacks are my favorite part so I add more of them, and then just whatever else fits!  Pour them in and then gently mix them all up.

Carby carb carbs!

The seasoning is also pretty easy, and does not have to follow a strict recipe.  Melt some butter or margarine, stir in the salt and seasonings, pour it over the top, and stir up well!

Butter and salt!

Pop the lid on, set it to low for 3 hours, and stir every hour and twice in the second hour to keep any from burning.  If your lid is not vented, place a tea towel on top to catch any condensation.  You don't want soggy Chex! 

Mmm, smells delicious!

Once your three hours is up you need to pour it all out in  a thin layer to cool completely.  Throw down some parchment paper and spread it thin!

Chex Mix as far as the eye can see!

Once it is completely cool, pop it in to bags and you are done! I promised it would be easy!

Now for the rules!

Ingredients

- 9 Cups of Chex cereal
- 2 Cups of rice snacks (Bulk Barn is where I get mine from)
- 1 Cups pretzels
- 1 Cups Cheerios
- 1 Cups Shreddies

Seasoning

- 1/3 Cup butter
- 1 Tbsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional for some kick)
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce

Directions

Add all the cereals to your slow cooker (you can use a roaster in the oven if you don't have a slow cooker).

Melt butter in the microwave.  Add the salt and seasonings and mix until salt is dissolved.  Add the Worcestershire and mix again.  Pour mixture over the cereals and mix gently.  Mix until the pieces are well coated.  I usually mix up a little extra seasoning if it looks too dry still.

Cook on low for 3 hours.  Stir after the first and second hour and then twice in the third hour.  If your slow cooker lid is not vented, place a tea towel under the lid to catch extra condensation.

Once done cooking, spread thin on parchment paper to completely cool.  Seal and it should keep for 3-4 weeks.

Enjoy!

Love,

Jen





No comments:

Post a Comment